CARM – CBSA Assessment and Revenue Management
Our leadership team recently returned from a series of meetings with Canada Customs. They are instructing us on the changes that they are making in their core systems. They’re introducing an initiative called CARM, C-A-R-M, CBSA Assessment and Revenue Management system.
What does that mean? It will change 17 core processes for importers to bring their products into Canada. In essence they are updating their archaic systems and bringing them to cloud platforms. This will allow CBSA to have better scrutiny in compliance and revenue collection.
So, as an importer, what do you need to know?
- First, and foremost, GHY is here for you.
- Through the years, as they make this initiative come to life we will be there to help our clients be able to communicate, register, and learn the changes, as we go along this journey with CBSA.
- We have a website that we just introduced cbsacarm.com. And there, we will provide regular updates as we receive them from CBSA themselves. We will be communicating on steps importers need to know to take and we will always be there to hold your hand.
We applaud CBSA for this initiative to begin this journey, in response to really a scathing report from the Auditor General in Spring of 2017. What we know today, there will be 3 initial steps:
- Release 0 – won’t be visible to importers as they bring their ARL system to an SAP cloud environment.
- Release 1 – that will impact importers is estimated to happen in fall of 2020; this is where importers will need to register their business number(s) with CARM, then after that they will delegate authority to their services provider(s), such as GHY.
- Release 2 – will happen in Spring 2021, this is when we will begin to transmit the release of your products coming into Canada through the new system. There are a lot of questions we asked in our series of meetings with CBSA.
There are still a lot of unknowns, but GHY is involved with them directly, we are communicating with them directly, and we are caring for the interests of our clients. Some wonder if this will ever happen? As CBSA sometimes has had a poor track record of being on time. In this case, with CARM, CBSA has engaged an outside party – Deloitte – to not only design and manage and create this new system. Deloitte is committed to being on time. So we hope that CBSA will stick to their timelines.
We will always keep our customers up to date and there’s one thing that you can be sure of – as we have been here for 119 years for our clients, we will continue to be here for you tomorrow.
For more information, please contact us by emaling CARM@ghy.com or calling our Consulting Dept. at 204-947-6700 ext. 209
*Due to the complexity of Trade Regulations, the information in this video should not be considered as binding. If you would like a review of a specific situation please contact us
Need assistance with CARM?
We Can Help.
Call Us: 1-800-667-0771 or Email: CARM@ghy.com.